Maybe I'm just overly critical, but there are some recent television advertisements that have wedged themselves under my skin; not because of the product or service, but simply because there is something in the ad that doesn't match real life terribly well or is otherwise illogical.
The worst offender is a recent ad for an insurance company. In the ad, a woman's car has been hit from behind by another driver's car. The woman's perfectly cool, calm and collected as if nothing really has happened -- and having been in some accidents I know that is the last thing I feel like and that's probably true with most other people. Secondly, she gets on the phone to... no, not the police (as she would be required to do in this case, given the amount of damage)... no, not the ambulance or paramedics... her insurance company!?!!! Who rings their insurance company first off when they've been in an accident??? Now this insurance company (supposedly a competitor to the one which is advertising) has a "feature" on their phone where you speak your first name. In this case her name is "Moira" and the computer's voice recognition reckons she's said "moron"... but can someone please tell me of an insurance company -- any company in fact! -- where they get you to state your name over the phone? It's usually some sort of ID code or policy number since the computer database lookup (preparing a particular customer's entry to be viewed/modified by the eventual person who will handle the call) typically requires a special unique identifier (hence the policy/customer number) since this is less prone to error than using a person's name... Finally, the ad states that when you call the company being advertised you'll always speak to a real person... but every other insurance company I've contacted over the phone for the entire time I've had insurance I've eventually spoken to a real person -- albeit after a menu selection, which at least means I might be speaking to people in the right department!
A second, and massively less annoying one, is an ad we've seen the last couple of summers for an apple cider style alcoholic beverage (are you admiring my restraint in not mentioning the companies? :-) ). In this case, there is a very large apple tree covered with flowers and in fact dropping huge amounts of petals around so that the surrounds look like they've had snow -- except the lovely young men and women are clad in summerwear/swimwear. The first problem lies in the amount of petal litter (the tree would need to be at least 10 times the size to emit that many petals and would probably fall over under its own weight!). The second is that all these petals have drifted off the tree - but they are all pristine white and not a hint that the petals are in any way beyond their prime... except that flowers don't drop their petals until the fruit has started to form, right? Which means the petals will be old and probably crusty... The third problem is that sitting right under the tree (still covered in blossoms) are several cases of freshly picked apples. Now I don't know terribly much about apples but I'm fairly sure that you can't have the one tree being covered in blossoms and yet have fruit picked from it...
Any ads you find to be illogical like these? Ad (sorry, couldn't resist!) them to the comments. Or if you've got any information that might suggest that I'm wrong about the apple tree...
No comments:
Post a Comment